Sunday, January 15, 2012

Slow Cooker Saturday: Apricot Chicken

Slow cookers are my friend! I love the ease of throwing some ingredients together in the crock pot, forgetting about it until supper time, then serving a meal that seems like it took hours to fix. I found this recipe on one of my new favorite blogs, Six Sisters Stuff.  They have collected so many slow cooker recipes, and I intend to try a new as often as possible.


Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Recipe:
(Recipe from Crockpot.com)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups apricot preserves
1 cup Russian dressing 
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
6 chicken breasts

Directions:
Mix together the preserves, dressing and soup mix.
Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker; pour mixture over chicken.
Cover; cook on High for 1 hour.
Reduce heat to Low and continue cooking for 3-4 hours.

Before serving, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. I served the chicken and the sauce over rice, and added a salad for a complete meal.

How was it?
I must disclose up front that I feed some picky eaters! Getting them to try something new is like pulling teeth. Everyone did at least give it a try. It was good, but a little on the sweet side for our taste. There were enough leftovers for my lunch the next day. So I added some red pepper flakes to it (just a few shakes) as it reheated. That seemed to temper down the sweetness a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment