Monday, January 9, 2012

Time Management

     Do you feel pulled in hundreds of different directions like I do? I am a wife, and a mother of a teenager, a toddler, and a special needs child. This means lots of sporting activities and practices, school activities, band concerts, church activities, doctors appointments, and playtime. I maintain a home, which means I pick up, clean, vacuum, sweep, mop, wash clothes, grocery shop, cook, and pay bills. I also pay the bills for the business my husband keeps on the side. I have an Etsy shop/website where I make and sell doll clothes and accessories for American Girl dolls. This involves designing, fabric shopping, sewing, and shipping my items, not to mention the bookkeeping that goes along with it. I do some serious social networking for my business, including my Etsy shop and website, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, and this blog. Whew, let me stop to catch my breath...

     How on earth can I do all this? 
 
     At first glance, it seems I could give up the doll clothes and life would be easier. But I adore my shop; I find peace, pride, and yes, success as a seamstress.  Plus, I'm the kind of person who likes to do it all, and I am convinced there is a way to accomplish this.


     When I see these daily type of calendars, I think of people who have appointments to keep. Images of business people sitting at a desk with meetings going on thoughout the day come to mind. I don't think of a stay-at-home/work-from-home mom. Is it even possible to structure one's day so precisely?Well, why not? It does seem a bit rigid for home life. But when there are so many things I want to get done in a day, the only logical thing is to designate a time for it all.
     Are you like me? Do you get super motivated to be super organized at the beginning of each new year? It usually lasts a couple of weeks, then old habits take over. Plus, I tend to be a little on the undisciplined side when it comes to starting something new. But the motivation to cram as much into my day is as strong as ever. I want every day to be productive and successful. It's good for me and my family. So...here I go again. Maybe if I vow to update you on my progress, it will make me more accountable.
     I would love to hear from you! How to you manage your time, and does it work for you?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment