Saturday, April 21, 2012

Save the Bananas!: Homestead Challenge #1

Ok, so it's the first day of my Homestead Challenge. I'm looking around, trying to decide where to start. After all, there are so many things I want to try. But wait--hang on a minute--what is this sitting on the counter?



Now, I know you've seen this before...
You probably have some rotting bananas sitting on your counter right now, don't you? 

Here's a homesteading "a-ha" moment. Normally, these would go straight to the trash. But this time, I'm not going to waste them. And who doesn't love Banana Bread? (Well, some people don't, I'm sure. But I do!)


Homemade Banana Bread
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (3 or 4)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (if you like)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

  1. Preheat the oven to 325. Grease loaf pan with shortening.
  2. Mix sugar, bananas, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pan.
  3. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean, about 60-70 minutes.
  4. Let cook 10 minutes, then loosen sides from pan and remove loaf. Let cool completely before slicing.

It was fast and easy to make, and so yummy too.  And it felt good to rescue those poor-looking bananas from their certain demise! Challenge #1 is a success!

2 comments:

  1. And remember to compost those peels!!!!We have a huge compost heap now. At first my husband was skeptical but now he swears by a shovel full or two with everything he plants. Ours is just literally a pile that we turn over every so often with a shovel. The rule of thumb is if it was once alive it composts and it includes all the paper from the bottom of the rabbit's cage. (paper was once a tree)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A compost pile is definitely on my to-do list! I know they're pretty stinky, so I need to find a good spot for it :)

    ReplyDelete